those Sunday ladies – we’ll not forget
their plumage of sobriety
as they’d humbly genuflect
– such bastions of society!
hats worn with amazing elan
pious looks of delight on their faces
believing in God’s greater plan
– already sure of their places!
baking their very best cakes for the stall
knitting socks for the halt and the lame
inviting the vicar to call
– “and it’s such a huge honour he came”!
making visits to those who are ill
but not if it’s something too catching
taking note of the dust on the sill
– and whether the curtains are matching!
discussing some marital state
reporting some kid’s bad behaviour
saying ‘wind up in clink at this rate’
– and all in the name of the Saviour!
with such rituals shown week after week
it was hard to equate what we knew
of their cold two-faced ways, so to speak,
– with their posture when sat in a pew!
image from http://thesaltcollective.org/lets-give-church-ladies/ (with apologies)